EMS is part of an organization’s management system used to develop and implement its environmental policy and manage its environmental aspects. It is a set of procedures and methods for aligning corporate strategies, policies and operations with principles that protect ecosystems.
Scope and objectives of EMS
- Understand environmental aspects and improve management of environmental impacts.
- Set targets to reduce energy use, water use and waste.
- Define key responsibilities for achieving targets
- Regularly assess progress towards achieving set objectives.
- Assist with environmental reporting
- Achieve cost savings
- Show leadership nationally or internationally
- Obtain competitive advantage
- May be required by clients, customers or regulators
- Build goodwill from customers, employers and stakeholders.