A patent gives an inventor exclusive rights to use their invention for a limited time. These rights will prevent other parties from copying or selling the invention without the permission of the inventor.
- Patents can be obtained for products or processes.
- Usually 20 years
- Patents protect the features and processes that make things work. Protect how things work, how it is made and what from.
- Let inventors profit from their inventions.
- Can sell the rights of the patent.
- Patents should have an inventive step, not obvious or simple adaptation or combination of existing products.
Types of Patent:
- Utility patents (20 yrs) – new and useful process, machine, manufacture of composition of matter
- Design patents – for novel design in an article of manufacture. (14 yrs)
- Plant patents